Friday, October 11, 2013

This is for You Angie

Today Mike and I went our separate ways for a few hours. Angie had given me explicit instructions about visiting an Ottolenghi restaurant. Ottolenghi is a London chef who has three locations in the city. With my carefully planned route and my Oyster card I set off for the Belgravia shop. The weather was cold and windy but with determination I tubed part of the way and then set out on foot. After a nice walk pass Buckingham Palace and through Green Park I made a few wrong turns. Recovering and finding my correct direction I found the storefront down a single block street. It was well worth the trek.

The shop is very small, not much larger than our living room and dining room. The window is filled with platters of delectable sweet treats. Inside is a very narrow passageway with a long counter. On the counter are the day's selection of salads and behind the counter are friendly, helpful young women. At the far end of the room is one round table with six chairs for customers who wish to eat in. The table was full. Considering the weather and my distance from our Tower Hill flat I was willing to wait for a place at the table. Within minutes a seventh chair appeared, a few people were rearranged and I had a place.

Slightly embarrassed I explained to my fellow diners and the waitress my desire to have pictures for my Seattle daughter, the gourmet cook. Complete understanding and cooperation and a copy of the daily menu to take back to Seattle.

 

 

Angie, the salads were divine, so flavorful, perfect, and satisfying that I didn't opt for a pastry. I did purchase the only items that would not be stale in a few hours. Mike and I mailed them off to you this afternoon.

 

On our way back from the post office Mike and I explored some of our temporary neighborhood until the cold and damp forced us to retreat to our flat for the evening.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Mama! It looks just like the cookbook! They didn't doll it up for the cookbook photos. It really, truly looks like that. Thank you for taking all that time to have an adventure for me! I feel so spoiled and dream of the day when someday we will make that trek together and sit at one of those tiny tables and, on that day, you WILL save room for dessert! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete